Great Illawarra Walk - Route overview
- Depart Shellharbour Village between 6am-7.30am – Addison Street
- Depart Warrawong between 8am-9.30am – Wave FM, Hoskins Street
- Depart Wollongong between 11am-12pm – One Agency, 103 Kiera Street
- Depart Fairy Meadow between 12pm-1pm – One Agency, 19 Princes Highwa
- Arrive Headlands Hotel Austinmer between 1pm and 5pm
Detailed walk route
The following directions are a suggested guide. We recommend you stick to the footpath on the right hand side of the road where possible!
Shellharbour Village to Warrawong (approx 13km)
- Shellharbour Village - Bean Roasted Espresso Bar, Addison Street, Shellharbour
- Proceed North on Wollongong St, turn right onto Shellharbour Road.
- Proceed North through Windang to Warrawong.
- Meet at Westfield Warrawong food court for a bite to eat. Most walkers will arrive between 8am and 9.30am
Warrawong to Wollongong (approx 10km)
- Depart Warrawong
- Continue on Shellharbour Rd / Five Islands Rd North to Cringila
- At Cringila Hotel, turn right into Springhill Rd
- As you are approaching Wollongong, turn left into Keira St (Rapid Relief will be set up at Tate Park for refreshments)
- Follow Keira St approx 1.5km to Crown St Mall
- Arrive at East end of Crown St Mall
- Most walkers will arrive in Wollongong between 10.30am and 12pm.
Wollongong to Thirroul Station (approx 14km)
- Depart Wollongong (Tate Park, near the intersection of Springhill Road and Keira Street)
- Continue on Keira St / Princes Highway to North Wollongong
- Continue over Northern Distributor overpass and stay on Princes Highway through Fairy Meadow, Corrimal, Russell Vale and on to Bulli.
- (suggested break at Corrimal or Bulli)
- Continue on Princes Highway, turn right into Lawrence Hargrave Drive to Thirroul
- Almost there now! Continue on Lawrence Hargrave Drive past Austinmer Beach
Thirroul to Headlands Hotel Austinmer (approx 3km)
- Turn right at Headlands Ave and Headlands Hotel Austinmer is 100m on the right
- Cross the finish line at Headlands Hotel
- Congratulations you have walked 40km!
- Time to celebrate
Headlands Hotel Austinmer
Join us for an end of walk celebration at the Headlands.
The walk finishes at Headlands Hotel Austinmer, with a finale party throughout the afternoon. Most walkers are expected to arrive early afternoon - plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy a beverage (or two!).
Headlands will have a reduced capacity this year as per their COVIDsafe plan, so we kindly ask that walkers keep the celebrations brief and move on to allow time for other walkers to enjoy the venue.