Great Illawarra Walk - Route overview
- Depart Shellharbour Village between 6.30am-7am – Addison Street
- Depart Warrawong between 8am-9.30am – Wave FM, Hoskins Street
- Depart Wollongong between 11am-12pm – Tate Park, Tate Street
- Depart Fairy Meadow between 12pm-1pm – One Agency, 19 Princes Highway
- Arrive Headlands Hotel Austinmer between 1pm and 5pm
Detailed walk route
The following directions are a suggested guide. We recommend you stick to the footpath on the right hand side of the road where possible!
Shellharbour Village to Warrawong (approx 13km)
- Shellharbour Village - Bean Roasted Espresso Bar, Addison Street, Shellharbour
- Proceed North on Wollongong St, turn right onto Shellharbour Road.
- Proceed North through Windang to Warrawong.
- Meet at Westfield Warrawong food court for a bite to eat. Most walkers will arrive between 8am and 9.30am
Warrawong to Wollongong (approx 10km)
- Depart Warrawong
- Continue on Shellharbour Rd / Five Islands Rd North to Cringila
- At Cringila Hotel, turn right into Springhill Rd
- As you are approaching Wollongong, turn left into Keira St (Rapid Relief will be set up at Tate Park for refreshments)
- Follow Keira St approx 1.5km to Crown St Mall
- Arrive at East end of Crown St Mall
- Most walkers will arrive in Wollongong between 10.30am and 12pm.
Wollongong to Thirroul Station (approx 14km)
- Depart Wollongong (Tate Park, near the intersection of Springhill Road and Keira Street)
- Continue on Keira St / Princes Highway to North Wollongong
- Continue over Northern Distributor overpass and stay on Princes Highway through Fairy Meadow, Corrimal, Russell Vale and on to Bulli.
- (suggested break at Corrimal or Bulli)
- Continue on Princes Highway, turn right into Lawrence Hargrave Drive to Thirroul
- Almost there now! Continue on Lawrence Hargrave Drive past Austinmer Beach
Thirroul to Headlands Hotel Austinmer (approx 3km)
- Turn right at Headlands Ave and Headlands Hotel Austinmer is 100m on the right
- Cross the finish line at Headlands Hotel
- Congratulations you have walked 40km!
- Time to celebrate
Headlands Hotel Austinmer
Join us for an end of walk celebration at the Headlands.
The walk finishes at Headlands Hotel Austinmer, with a finale party throughout the afternoon. Most walkers are expected to arrive early afternoon - plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy a beverage (or two!).